Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes Servings: 4
Chicken stuffed with asparagus, sundried tomatoes and plenty of melted cheese best served with Red Bliss Potato Salad.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 2 ounces gruyere, sliced or shredded
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 12 stalks asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Lay the butterflied chicken down with the cut side up, sprinkle on the cheese, and sundried tomatoes, along with the asparagus before folding one side back over and sealing it up with toothpicks.
- Season the outside of the chicken with the combination of the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium heat, add the chicken and lightly brown on both sides, gently flipping in between, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Either: Transfer to a preheated 350F/180C oven and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 10-25 minutes, OR cover the pan with a lid, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
Note: To butterfly the chicken, lay the breast down flat on a board and slice it, almost in half, leaving about 1/2 inch unsliced all the way down one side one side.
Option: Use another cheese or combination of cheeses, such as mozzarella and/or parmesan.
Option: Use cajun seasoning instead of the spices above!
Option: Replace the sundried tomatoes with cooked bacon!
Option: Cook on the grill or in the barbecue instead of on the stove/oven!
Option: Hit the chicken with a splash of lemon juice at the end for a bit of brightness.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 354, Fat 11g (Saturated 3g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 98mg, Sodium 170mg, Carbs 6g (Fiber 2g, Sugars 3g), Protein 31g