Prep Time: 10 minutes Marinate Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 8
Grilled chicken marinated in citrus, garlic, cumin, coriander and oregano, that’s perfect in Orzo Confetti Salad.
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 guajillo peppers, soaked *
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon achiote powder **
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- Puree everything except the chicken in a food processor.
- Marinate the chicken, covered, in the fridge, in the marinade for 20 minutes to overnight.
- Shake off any excess marinade and grill over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 4-6 minutes per side, before setting aside to rest for 5 minutes before enjoying!
Note: *Crack open the dried peppers and shake out the seeds before covering the peppers in just boiled water until they are tender, about 15-20 minutes. You can optionally, lightly toast the peppers in a skillet before soaking.
Note: **Achiote powder, or annatto powder, is ground annatto seeds that is used mostly for the colour that it adds to the chicken but it also has a mild flavour. You can omit it if you cannot find it. You can also use (1 tablespoon) achiote paste instead of the achiote powder, but the paste also includes other seasonings so it will not be exactly the same.
Tip: I like to reserve 1/4 of the marinade, before using it to maridate, to baste the chicken with as it grills.
Option: Add some orange and lime zest!
Option: Add 2 tablespoons cilantro to the marinade!
Nutrition Facts: Calories 224, Fat 11g (Saturated 1g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 106mg, Sodium 401mg, Carbs 6g (Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 23g