20m prep 2h 15m cook 4 servings
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 6 (1.8kg) trimmed lamb shanks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups Massel beef stock
- 1 large zucchini, roughly chopped
- Soft polenta or mash, to serve
- Salt, to season
1. Place flour and shanks in a large snap-lock bag. Season with salt and pepper. Seal. Shake to coat.
2. Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Cook shanks, in batches, turning, for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium-high. Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook for 3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add tomato paste. Stir to combine. Add wine, tomato and stock. Stir to combine.
4. Add shanks. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
5. Remove lid. Add zucchini. Simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender and falling off the bone. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve lamb shank casserole with soft polenta or mash.
NUTRITION PER SERVING% Daily Value#
|Energy||3784 kj (904cal)||43%|
|Folic Acid B9||131.4||66%|